Warning Signs and Solutions for Leaders and Team Members to Know and Combat the Dreaded EGO.
This evil small business nemesis lurks among leaders and team members everywhere. He drives a car that runs over everyone else, he enlarges the details of a story, and he wants to look better than anyone else. He is the center of his own universe and likes to take over those that are in need of covering up a deep-seeded fear of not being themselves….(datdadadatdada)…..It’s Inflated Ego.
• Is your head disproportionately larger than the rest of your body?
• Is your ego muscle (your mouth) disproportionately larger than the rest of your face?
• Every story you have gives the impression that you and you alone were the only instrumental “people”. If you were to walk around with a voice recorder and play it back, how many times would you hear the word “I”?
• No one ever mentions they want to model your behavior.
• When was the last time you inspired someone else?
• A team member has mentioned it ever so gently and you responded, “No, I don’t!”, “No, I’m not!”
• You’re uncanny in your ability to relate almost any story back to you.
Not to Be Confused with Confidence
The question is, what are you consistent at practicing on a daily basis? Confidence is doing the right thing without violating the people around you. Ego is a disregard for others around you.
The Prescription and True Test
The most delicious pie you’ll ever eat; it’s called humble pie. To be humble is to prefer the needs of others; it’s quiet confidence. If you know, that you know, that you know, you alone don’t need the fanfare for everything you do to understand that you are a valuable contribution to your team, then, you realize what it is to be humble.
For the next 30 days:
• Listen twice as much as you talk.
• Bring your ego to its knees by being teachable – cut the words “I know” from your vocabulary
• We all have our shortcomings….Embrace your suckiness!
For more information on this, contact myself, because I am an expert; I don’t just play one on T.V. I have accolades from the Sultan of Egypt where I own the largest camel farm in the world. In my spare time I’m studying to find the cures of the top five diseases while aboard the space shuttle. If I don’t answer my phone when you call, please leave a message with my ego.by